Tower of Song




"I said to Hank Williams, how lonely does it get?
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
A hundred floors above me, in the Tower of Song."







I like music.  All kinds of music.  There are some genres and artists that I may enjoy more than others but to me music is like any other form or art, if it elicits emotion I enjoy it.  I've learned that there is something about live performances that simply can't be captured on CD or recorded music and I don't think you can truly appreciate the art behind music without seeing a performance because it's like looking at only half of a painting and trying to appreciate it.

On June 6th I had the opportunity to see a duo called Tower of Song perform a Leonard Cohen tribute in Regina Beach at the Last Mountain Cultural Centre.  A group of about 50 or 60 people crowded into a small room and were treated to a great performance by Oliver Swain and Glenna Garramone.  I'm not a big Leonard Cohen fan but I really enjoyed listening Glenna and Oliver's versions of his songs (as well as a few of their own original songs).  I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation for Cohen's work.

Seeing a big name artist is always exciting but it's a rare treat when talented folks like this pass through and entertain us thoroughly.  Here's a stream of  Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye  from their CD City and Forest.  It's a song by Cohen from 1967 (I think).  It's been covered by quite a few people and I would have to say this is my favourite version.  I would strongly encourage you to grab the album from iTunes or from the Tower of Song website.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had a Dream

The Last Letter

Internal Harmony