Long Service

My lovely and talented wife was honoured yesterday with a long service award.  She has been working in the public service for 25 years and was recognized for her work and dedication.  As we were talking about the award she commented that she wishes she had done more and I can understand that feeling because I've felt the same way.  Although I've never dedicated even more than 5 years of my life to one organization, I can understand the feeling that you could have done more in your career but I don't know if any of us are aware of how much we have really accomplished.

My wife is an amazing person.  She is truly the kindest person you will ever meet and that is no exaggeration.  If you asked any person who knows her what they think of when they hear her name I bet the top three would be: Kind, Smiles a lot and Quirky.  These are all qualities that I absolutely love about her.  Anyway, knowing the type of person that she is I know that when she does her job she truly does her best and takes pride in what she does.  She is one of those rare people who actually loves her job.

Her work deals quite a bit with protecting the privacy of others and has a historical component to it which I'm sure makes it very interesting for her.  She hasn't always done exactly the same thing but in the various roles she has had I know that she has always been dedicated to doing the best job she can do and as a result, I don't think she really has any idea of just how much she has accomplished in her career.

I'm thinking that in 25 years of dedication to protecting privacy and ensuring that the information of citizens of our province have been preserved and protected, the number of times that she has saved a person or a family great heartache or brought great joy are countless.  I think this can apply to all of us.  If we do our jobs well, there is no telling how much good we are doing because it's usually our mistakes that are most pronounced.

During the award dinner, I had the great opportunity to take in conversations between my wife and the woman who hired her 25 years ago.  There have been a lot of co-workers who have had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of my wife's kindness and have no doubt been infected by her love for life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Congratulations, my love!  Take time to reflect of the past 25 years and think about all of the people who you have worked with or had contact with through your career and know that you have accomplished much more than you will ever be able to fully realize.  Take time to feel pride for the work that you have done and the indelible contribution you have made to our province and so many people's lives.  I don't know that we can ever truly show how much we appreciate your years of service but I'm am glad that I have the opportunity to show my appreciation and love for you every day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Had a Dream

The Last Letter

Internal Harmony